Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Promotion or Demotion?

Well. It has been an interesting week on the job front. On Wednesday last week I got a call basically telling me I have been recommended for a job at a nearby high school in Compton as a Literacy coach. This would entail me teaching only 2 classes or so and then working with other teachers, doing in-services and such for the rest of the time. Basically, this is what I have been going to school for. But, I just got to Davis Middle school this year and really felt called to be here in the beginning..until we got a new principal.
The next day, in a conversation with my current principal, I was told that if I didn't teach the exact program he wanted (which I don't feel is appropriate), I should transfer to somewhere else. Later that day I met with my new prospective principal and was totally impressed!! She is an amazing woman and we seem to have very similar philosophies about education, the role of administrators and teachers, etc. She is also known for having turned around one of the middle schools already and has some big plans for next year that I would like to be a part of.

Whew!

Please pray for me - I think I am going to go for this new job, but it hurts me to leave what I just started. I want to make a good decision - and not jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. Please also pray for my attitude towards my current principal and another administrator.

Sheesh. Being a grown-up is hard sometimes...

-Posted by Erin.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the face of it, it seems like a no-brainer: exciting, encouraging opportunity on the one hand, ultimatums and negativity on the other. But I know you are devoted to the kids you are working with now, so it seems to you that are choosing between your career and the kids. But I don't think this is the case. There are more kids that need your than you will ever be able to help. There are kids at this high school that you will help if you go, and that you won't be able to work with if you don't. The teachers you work with at the high school will be better teachers, I think, for working with you, and that will help still more kids at the high school, and probably future students at other schools. This may be an opportunity to help more children that you have been able to thus far.

But it will still be hard to leave behind the kids you have formed real relationships with this year. That is much harder to face than the imagined relationships and impacts of the future. You have a caring, insightful spirit, and I know you will make a good decision.

Love,

Nathan (old, short, shuffling)

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home