Tuesday, April 11, 2006

First Student Lost

We just received the news today that one of our former students, Daniel Macias, 18, was shot and killed one street over from us. He lived in the neighborhood and was trying to finish his high school diploma by staying with his grandmother in another city during the week and going to classes. On weekends he would come home to see his sister and mother. He was a smart kid, who had gotten into trouble in the past, but was trying to turn it around. We liked him quite a bit and he always seemed to like us too. This really is the first student we have had that we knew well who was killed. It brings the reality home of what we are trying to fight against. And it makes me think about why it had to happen. If he lived somewhere else, very likely he would not have gotten involved in all these things, and almost certainly would not have been killed. Now all we can do is pray for his family and pray for our city. We ask you to pray too...

3 Comments:

Blogger LaTonya said...

Ian, Lou,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for you and for Daniel's family and for Compton.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, I will be praying for you and his family. Also I really enjoyed Chris on CSI Miami last night.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That is tough. I lost one of my students three years ago to a gang shooting. It was tough. He was only in 8th grade, 14 years old. I will be praying for you guys, for Daniel's family and for your city.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home